Our oldest son is turning eight tomorrow. He wanted to celebrate with his entire class. I don't know about you, but birthday parties can get really expensive. And, with at least four parties a year for our children's birthdays (one each!) that can get pricey really fast. Birthdays are important. My family always made our birthdays special growing up and my husband and I both feel it's really important for our children to have this special day each year. Does it have to break the bank? No.
Let's look at options.
- We have tons of kid friendly birthday themed places to choose from in our city- Houston. But, again, price is an issue. Most places charge per child and inviting an entire class full of kids is a lot. We also like to include siblings, mainly because our kids have so many siblings and it's always nice (but not necessary) when they are included too.
- How about a party at home? They are fun and the kids always really have a great time. I opted "no" on this option this time, because it is a lot of work for me personally and I kind of have a lot already on my plate at the moment.
- So, we thought about the park down the street from our house and our son's school. We could have a party right after school on a Friday afternoon. We went for this option.
Here are the details:
Invite all of the class via evite.com or other web service
Our class list is posted for our class only on our own website run by our classroom mom
I just retrieved the emails from there and pasted them into the evite
Party time: immediately after school on a Friday for 1.5 hours
Serve Pizza (kid choices and parent options) - I ordered locally and asked that it be delivered to the park 15 minutes after the party start time
Pick up cupcakes (we purchased ours from Sam's Club 30 total -15 vanilla and 15 chocolate)
What to bring:
- paper towels (in case it is windy, napkins will fly)
- one cooler filled with ice, water bottles & juice bags/boxes
- birthday candle
- pizza cutter to make the pieces smaller if necessary
- trash bags (I had these, but they weren't necessary)
FUN! This was a really fun party for the kids and it was super simple for the parents.
Happy birthday to our very great eight year old boy! We love you!